nav

Image Map

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

U is for Unexpected

I guess this whole blog thing could be called U is for Unexpected since I write about the crazy, unexpected things that happen. These are some that happened today.

Unexpected Rate 1
I stepped on the hem of my pants and so I used some paper clips to fix it.
(I took a picture to share, but you couldn't see the black paper clips on the black pants. You just had to see it in person.)

Unexpected Rate 4
I cried over something sweet. If you know me, you know I only cry when I am seriously frustrated...or when something is abused or dies. Or when the Red Sox beat the Rays.

We were talking about making friends and what being a friend means to us. Some kids said that a friend is someone to play video games with or someone to text. But, my cute little darling with the nervous laugh said it the best. She said, "a friend is like a sister if you're a girl (or brother if you're a boy) that belongs to a different family (nervous laugh)." It was a deep moment for us. She got nods of agreement from her classmates and tears from me. I couldn't help it. It was just so profound.

Unexpected Rate 9.5
Our science experiment didn't work. It did last year! We are learning about how scientists work (aka the scientific process) so we did an experiment called "Dancing Raisins". We had to predict if the raisins A) dissolve, B)sink to the bottom and explode, C)dance up and down, or D)float when put into a glass of 7-up. I guess it's because I was being cheap and used seltzer water. But, it's the bubbles that make it work and there were tons of bubbles! Anyway, I digress. Most of us chose D, but some were hoping for the blowing-up one.

I put the cups of seltzer water on the desks, we counted to three, and dropped in the raisins. This is what happened:















Nothing. They just sat there.

Here is what happened after about two minutes:















Nothing. The same picture could be used for what happened after I stirred them up a little.

While I was working with this team. I hear, "READY? 1-2-3" Then a really loud, "REDUCTO!" I turn around to see this:

















Apparently, one of my most creative students had arranged for everyone to use their pencils as wands to put a spell on the raisins...to make them dance (or blow up). I was laughing so hard I almost choked! I think the wrong spell was used though, because I'm pretty sure Harry used REDUCTO! as a reduction spell. I guess we are plain Muggles. (Is plain Muggles redundant?)

Unexpected Rate Infinity
I hear there was a "troll" under my portable today. Hiding from his first grade teacher. But, that's not my story to tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment