nav

Image Map

Monday, April 16, 2012

B is for Busy Beavers

One little darling looked surprised when I said it was time to pack up today. She said, "Wowy, we've just been busy little beavers today."

That really cracked me up, but she was right. It's week 6 of our reading series which means review week. Add to that a wacky schedule to accommodate our state's standardized test (FCAT! AHHHH!) and we had quite the unusual day.

We started with Courtney @ Swimming Into Second's Amazing Astronauts craftivity.

It was quite the ordeal. In my room, craft times are usually chaotic, but turn out some pretty cute results. We used some (now obsolete) overhead transparencies to give it more of a "helmet" effect.

Mr. Genius added "we come in peace" patches.
Skittles added some crazy blue eye shadow.
 One little guy was quite creative, but I did make him change his rough draft to not include the word "sexy".


I loved the hair on this one. Very realistic.

 

We also worked on some skills while matching eggs. This wonderful idea came from Amy @ Krazy about Kiddos. The kids are cuckoo for Coco Puffs over it.

 

After lunch, we had to open this!



It was from Natalie @ Teachery Tidbits. She had a giveaway while she was all the way in Japan! When I won, I new exactly what I'd want.

She even sent some extra treats for us to try. They got mixed reviews. =)

 When we opened the brown box and saw this they said, "Is it a bomb?" and "It looks like perfume!".

It was actually a beautiful, one of a kind Kokeshi doll! We love it so much! My darlings were amazed that we got something all the way from Japan. Thank you so much Mrs. Lemacks!


Go check out her posts about Okinawa. I'm so envious!

I also brought in this game made by Melissa & Doug. It got more playtime than the iPad today. I love exposing them to low-tech toys.


Whew! What a whirlwind of a day. Now we only have to gear up for a field trip to the bowling alley on Thursday and our Earth Day activities on Friday. I'm going to need some vitamins.

I am so thankful for the wonderful teaching blogs that give me so many ideas. They get me through times like these (FCAT! AHHHHHHH!)

I'm off to finish my Pintersting Spring Exchange project.


Photobucket Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Your astronauts turned out so cute. I love the transparency idea!

    Swimming into Second

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are totally, totally amazing!!! What a wonderful idea about the blogging and exchanging ideas. "Those" who do not share in these wonderful, educational experiences to enhance learning...just don't know what they are missing!! These are things the students will take with them and the skills they are learning will give them the "jump start" they need to be successful and actually enjoy coming to school!! Just love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun!!! And I LOVE the gift from Japan!
    And totally agree - it's like PDD everyday on here - ha!
    The Teacher’s Cauldron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, I'm so glad you liked it! I thought she was a cutie :) The kokeshi dolls were one of my favorite things, and I am pretty sure I would have a giant collection if I had more time. Just in the short time I was there, I came home with 3!

    You never know what you are going to get with those Japanese snacks! I had actually bought a whole bag of cookies for your kiddos, but they got completely smashed during my flight :( so I just threw in a couple of snacks I had around.

    Love your astronauts!!!

    Natalie
    TeacheryTidbits

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this entire post! The astronauts are so great! I was hoping to win the same thing from Japan and since you are on a winning streak I thought I would share the news that you won half-off a makeover from Honey Bunch Blog Designs!

    CONGRATS!
    Misty
    Honey Bunch Blog Design
    Think, Wonder, & Teach

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow I guess you are on a lucky streak :) love the astronauts!
    I am your newest follower, so glad I found your blog!

    http://lovetoteach123.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog through 3AM Teacher! I am kind of feeling the same way about the 5 star blog challenge I do agree with some points but I no others. I figure it is my blog with an emphasis on my and if you don't agree with me don't follow me!

    I would love to see what you wrote

    P.S. I am now following you and I would love for you to visit my blog too

    Ms. Patterson

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the astronauts! So cute!!!! Thanks for the great idea, love the overhead transparencies idea :-)
    I am your newest follower, so happy I found your blog.
    Would be great for you to visit my blog

    Michelle
    http://bloggingteachingandsecondgradeohmy.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete