nav

Image Map

Monday, January 23, 2012

E is for EXtinct

(WARNING: I'm going to rant just a little bit.)

MONDAY MORNINGS AND TALKING ABOUT THE FCAT DO NOT MIX!

Talking about anything pertaining to the FCAT, or the government for that matter, should be prohibited before 9:00 a.m. on Mondays.

And we totally wasted taxpayers' money to pay someone to make this  map and ranking list.

{Pointless Rankings Map}


Okay, I'm done.

Today I introduced our writing prompt for the week:
{Hey, look! It's my sister!}

I like to focus on endangered animals for this prompt and take it a little further than just their needs. Otherwise it's pretty boring...

Anyhoo, I asked what 'endangered' means. One little darling said, "It's when animals are in danger. That's why it's called indangered. They aren't instinct yet."

Okay, that was pretty close. I tell them it's 'ENdangered' and 'EXtinct'. So then I asked what 'extinct' means.

Little Miss Stella seemed to be too good for this lesson and was playing with something in her desk.

So of course I zeroed in on her. She was really getting under my skin already. (She might have  mentioned something about a cat and it made me remember FCAT and I was all kerflustered again.)

Me: STELLA! What does extinct mean?

Stella: huh-what?!

Me: What does. extinct. mean?

Stella: Well, it's when an animal...it's when an animal is...it's when an animal is sprayed by a skunk and then it stinks.

Me: (head on the desk snorting with laughter)

I don't remember what I said after that.

I would just like to say that I think the FCAT should become extinct. The "go away forever" kind, not the "smells like a skunk sprayed it" kind. Because "THEY" would still make us take it and wouldn't care!

Okay, I'm done now. Again. Unless we have to talk about the FCAT next Monday morning.

Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. HAHA :) What a cute story to make your day better! Have a more enjoyable Tuesday :)

    Lisa :)
    Made In The Shade In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!! You always seem to come up with the "brighter" light bulbs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny!!! :-) Thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok so I have to ask what the FCAT is? I am unfamiliar with this. Is if your state assessment or am I completely off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kelley. It's the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test. And we have a mandatory 3rd grade retention law for students who don't pass. We were told yesterday that the scoring will change making it harder for 3rd graders (specifically) to pass. It's a shame that this test counts for so much. Even a school board member in another county took it and did not pass. It's just a hot mess! =)

      Delete
  5. Too funny! Just found your blog! So glad I did! Lovin' those sweet dogs!

    Peace, Love and First Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I'm following your blog now, too. =)

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness....first time reader on your blog, and totally enjoyed your story! Thanks for the laugh!!!


    Papers and Pencils and Books, Oh My!

    ReplyDelete